ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday 13 September 2015

The LYKE WAKE WALK – and the “The Batty Way" : DAY 2 : 21 miles




Hello there !

This is Day two of my adventure - Boggle Hole to Osmotherley via Whitby.




Here is a link to the first day The LYKE WAKE WALK – and the “The Batty Way : DAY 1”.


Saturday 12th September 2015

8:45 AM
The tide is out so I decide to walk along the beach from Boggle Hole to Robin Hood's Bay, about 3/4 of a mile.   The weather is quite grey today, but still it seems a very beautiful place to me!




9:26 AM
After buying 4 bars of Cherry Bakewell Flapjack (I love it!) from the little shop I walk up through the village and back onto the coast path, for a final view of Robin Hood's Bay.


This year I walked the first half of Wainwright's Coast 2 Coast with my youngsters Molly and Kirk and my girlfriend Debbie.  I think how wonderful it will be to visit this very spot again at the end of the Coast 2 Coast route next spring or summer 2016.

Looking over the cliff edge - it's a long way down!


There was some pretty serious footpath erosion at the time.


10:30 AM
I am taking it easy this morning - my limbs ache some after yesterday - but still I only have 21 miles to do, so that seems OK - or at least that's what I thought at the time .. 





11:44
Arrive at the caravan park at Saltwick Nab; just a few people about, most staying in their caravans with a newspaper and cups of tea - hmm I could do with a cuppa!


11:57 AM
I had forgotten about the dark theme of yesterday's Lyke Wake Walk - until now - but here we go again - it's Dracula town - hello Whitby!




12:15
I thought the best bet would be to check out the train times first to Battersby Junction - so first call Whitby railway station.



Bad News!

I have just missed the mid-day train and the next train is not until 4PM. That's a four hour wait nearly.  That's not good at all, that means I won't be at Battersby until 5PM with another 13 miles to walk - bother!

Hopefully you will have read this and learn from my mistake of not checking the train times.

Ah well - now for best thing to do in Whitby - eat fish and chips!!

This is my favourite cafe - right on the end of the promenade The Battery Parade Cafe 





2:00  PM
Now I am lovely and warm after a very relaxing time at the Battery Cafe .. notice the Batty theme continues ! 

It just so happens that today is the Pirate Festival in Whitby - so using up the extra time here is no problem !


Pirates everywhere!


The weather turns bad for a spell but that didn't stop this fabulous pirate lady from dancing through a torrential thunderstorm.


3:30PM
I better head for the train!


I wish this was my train!


This is it - ah well it's colorful at least :)



5:10 PM
Off the train and finally onto The Batty Way


5:27 PM 
Church at Ingleby Greenhow


Looking toward the Cleveland Way now - it runs along the edge of the hills ahead of me - Clay Bank and White Hill




6:16 PM


And here we are - back on the Lyke Wake Walk heading back toward Osmotherly - but it's a good 10 miles from here.  


6:40 PM
The evening views from Whitehill are really superb.  This really is an awesome walk.



7:10 PM
And here at the fabulous Wainstones the sun finally sets.


I spend a while at Wainstones contemplating life.

It is so beautiful here, and appears to be just as I imagine the planet Mars.



10:30 PM
It takes me another three hours to finish the walk - the last two hours being in the dark - but the stars were superb and the Esk Valley was lit up like a Christmas tree.


I really loved the Lyke Wake Walk and the Batty Way.

Thank you for reading please leave a comment below for me, I would love to hear them and reply to any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you -